Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Father’s Day
Father’s Day – There are so many various names for the man who raised us: Dad, Daddy, Daddio, Pop, Padre, Pa, Father. Regardless of the term of affection we use to refer to our fathers, we respect them all. It celebrates fatherhood and the value of fathers in society. Father figures, such as biological fathers, stepfathers, foster fathers, grandfathers, and great-grandfathers, are honored on this day. Every year on the third Sunday in June, the United States celebrates the day. Families typically treat their fathers to lunches and outings during this day weekend. Father’s Day 2022 in India– Sunday, 19 June.
Why Do We Celebrate?
Father’s Day recognizes and honors the men who have taken on the vital responsibility of fatherhood. On this day- we also honor fathers and father figures (uncles, grandfathers) for their sacrifices, for accepting the duty of caring and rearing children, and; for their commitment to their families.
Does Father’s Day change every year?
Yes, the date changes! Father’s Day is always on the third Sunday in June, but the exact date varies from year to year. For instance, it fell on June 20 last year, and June 21 the year before that.
Sunday, June 19
Sunday, June 18
Sunday, June 16
Sunday, June 15
History of Fathers Day
On June 6, 1910, Dodd approached the Spokane Ministerial Association and the local Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA); with her petition outlining the idea for an annual observance, she received overwhelming support. Spokane’s held its first Father’s Day celebration on Sunday, June 19, 1910, with moving speeches by her own pastor and; those from other area churches.
The first U.S. President to celebrate it was Woodrow Wilson in June of 1916- who opened the church services by telephone to Spokane from the Oval Office. Wilson liked the idea so much of a day of observation- for fathers that he pushed to make it a national holiday (he had just made Mother’s Day official in 1915). But members of Congress resisted, fearing that such a day would take away support from the Mother’s Day holiday, and commercialize the day for fathers, causing more harm than good.
Background and symbols
There are a range of events, which may have inspired the idea of Father’s Day. One of these was the start of the Mother’s Day tradition in the first decade of the 20th century. Another was a memorial service held in 1908 for a large group of men, many of them fathers- killed in a mining accident in Monongah, West Virginia in December 1907.
A woman called Sonora Smart Dodd was an influential figure in the establishment of this day. Her father raised six children by himself after the death of their mother. This was uncommon at that time, as many widowers placed their children in the care of others or quickly married again.
Father’s Day quotes
- “The power of a dad in a child’s life is unmatched.” —Justin Ricklefs
- “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” —William Shakespeare
- “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” —George Herbert
- “A girl’s first true love is her father.” —Marisol Santiago
- “A father’s smile has been known to light up a child’s entire day.” —Susan Gale
- Fathers just have a way of putting everything together.” —Erika Cosby
- “Behind every great daughter is a truly amazing father.” —Unknown
- “To her, the name of father was another name for love.” —Fanny Fern
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.” —Tim Russert
- “No music is as pleasant to my ears as that word―father.” —Lydia Maria Child
- “A father carries pictures where his money used to be.” —Steve Martin
- “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” —Linda Poindexter
Father’s Day Wishes
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for a unique message to add in a card, email, text message, or even a phone call to your father. There are numerous ways to express your love to your father and express your gratitude for all that he has done for you… and we’ve put up a list of Fathers Day texts to get you started!
- I’m so lucky to have you as my father. I’m sure no one else would have put up with me this long. Happy Father’s Day!
- You are the first person I think of when I have a question about something or when I just need some support and good advice. Thank you for always being there for me, Dad.
- I’m so proud to be your kid. I have the best dad and I love you so much!
- Happy Father’s Day to the man who put the fear into all my dates and still treats me like a princess!
- Thanks for acting like a kid when I was a kid, acting like a friend when I needed a friend, and acting like a parent when I needed one. You are the best man I know. Happy Father Day.
- Happy Fathers Day to the man who wore my extra tiara at my tea parties and still treats me like a princess.
- Sending lots of love to the dad who did his best to keep me out of trouble… from the daughter who sure did have a knack for finding it!
- Popping open a cool one in your honor on Fathers Day, Pops. Cheers!
- Although time and distance may separate us, your guidance, advice, and love has stuck with me through it all. I would not be who I am today without you. Enjoy your special day.
- You’ve given your children someone to admire, respect, and honor. You are a fantastic dad, and we love you so much!