Historic Day for Indian Badminton- Thomas Cup 2022
Thomas Cup – With a stunning 3-0 win over powerhouse Indonesia in the final, India’s men’s badminton team won the Thomas Cup for the first time ever. In the final of the Thomas Cup in Bangkok, Thailand, India defeated 14-time winners Indonesia 3-0 to win the title. India put on a show to remember, with medalist Lakshya Sen, Kidambi Srikanth, and the world number 8 doubles combo of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy putting on unforgettable performances. India has won the Thomas Cup for the first time, defeating Indonesia, the 14-time champion.
In an exciting tie, Lakshya Sen defeated Anthony Ginting 8-21, 21-17, 21-16 to give India a perfect start. Satwik and Chirag, India’s doubles combo, upset Ahsan-Sukamuljo! 18-21, 23-21, 21-19, giving India a 2-0 lead. Kidambi Srikanth defeated Jonatan Christie 21-15, 23-21 in the third game to make it 3-0. They did it without losing a single game in the final.
India is celebrating a historic victory
India erupted in celebration after its maiden title triumph in the prestigious Thomas Cup badminton tournament, with people from all walks of life joyfully exhausting their stock of superlatives to adorn Sunday’s heroes.
From Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra, the historic feat drew the attention of the country’s political class, sporting fraternity, entertainment industry, and the corporate sector, among others.
They lavished rich praise on the men who made it possible — Lakshay Sheron, Kidambi Srikanth, the doubles duo of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy — and also the ones who were not required in the team’s 3-0 demolition of 14-time winners Indonesia but played stirring roles en route to the victory in Bangkok.
Key points of the Thomas Cup title
- India was off to a perfect start as Lakshya Sen defeated Anthony Ginting by 8-21, 21-17, 21-16 in a thrilling tie.
- India’s doubles pair Satwik and Chirag defeated Ahsan-Sukamuljo 18-21, 23-21, 21-19, the most sensational victory of their career, to give India a 2-0 lead.
- In the third game, Kidambi Srikanth defeated Jonatan Christie 21-15, 23-21 to make it 3-0. They have done it without losing a match in the final.
Here are a few of the responses
- The Indian badminton team has scripted history! The entire nation is elated by India winning the Thomas Cup! Congratulations to our accomplished team and best wishes to them for their future endeavors. This win will motivate so many upcoming sports persons — PM Modi.
- HISTORY CREATED! Congratulations to the Indian men’s badminton team for winning the Thomas Cup! This extraordinary feat, with successive victories over Malaysia, Denmark and Indonesia, calls for matching honor by the nation — Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur.
- What a historic day! An incredible achievement by an incredible achievement by an incredible Team India to win the #ThomasCup for the first time ever!! Bounced back from tough situations on numerous occasions to win Gold. Kudos to all the players and coaches. Champions, all of you! — Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra.
- Soaring to a New High. Congratulations Team India on scripting history by winning #ThomasCup, first time in the 73-year-history of this prestigious badminton team tournament. You’ve all made us immensely proud. Keep the flag flying high — Badminton Association of India President Himanta Biswa Sarma.
- Congratulations TEAM INDIA Men’s Team for winning the THOMAS CUP Title … Great win — Olympic bronze medallist shuttler Saina Nehwal.
- Pure show of grit and determination & India becomes the #ThomasCup champion for the 1st time in style, beating 14 times champions Indonesia 3-0 in the finals. It’s coming home! — Badminton Association of India.
Watch matches on – Voot App.